Kwikset offers a range of innovative electronic locks for both residential and commercial use such as the Kwikset 919 Premis Touchscreen Deadbolts. Kwikset SmartCode locks have become popular among people who want electronic locks that can be programmed with an access code to unlock the door.
If you own one of these locks, you’ll definitely want to learn how to change the code on Kwikset SmartCode locks. Why? Because it enhances your security with programmable codes.
Changing the Code Step-by-Step
- Use an Allen wrench to loosen and remove the two screws on each side of the interior side of the Kwikset SmartCode assembly. Do this carefully to avoid damaging the lock assembly.
- While the door is open, press the “Program” keypad button located on the interior side of the door. Enter a four to eight digit security code that you can easily remember on the outside electronic lock keypad.
- Press the “Lock” keypad button at the center of the SmartCode keypad. Doing this will often program a security code for the first user.
- Keep in mind that you can create and reset Kwikset lock codes for up to four users. To set a code for the second user, press the SmartCode “Program” button twice to program a security code for the second user, such as a relative. Enter a four to eight digit security code on the outside electronic lock keypad and press the “Lock” button again.
- Repeat the detailed steps above to create security codes for other users. Press the program button three or four times, respectively, for the third and fourth users to program their security codes.
Why Change Codes?
Learning how to change the code on Kwikset SmartCode locks is important. You may need to set a separate security code for house guests or close friends. You may also opt to change security codes after a certain period to improve security.
It may be helpful to change security codes when you think someone else is aware of your security code. This is less likely to happen unless you’ve shared your code with someone else.